Platform built together with national and internat...Continue
Providing design assistance supported by ICT in th...Continue
Within the course “Design of Innovative ICT-infras...Continue
Using Yammer to facilitate better communication am...Continue
Collaborative learning / group assignments
Collaborative learning or group learning is an important skill which our students will need in their professional life. It is a type of active learning in which students make a group assignment together. They’re learning by exchanging views on substantive issues, but also by having to make practical agreements, and solving possible problems together, in order to reach a joint end product.
Collaborative learning, whether or not supported by ICT, is characterized by four basic elements, called the EIPS (Dutch: GIPS) model
- Equal participation
- Individual responsibility
- Positive interdependence
- Simultaneous action
For each teaching situation (printed bold) it is described which tools (underlined) can give an important contribution.
Various educational situations where ICT is used
- Writing together can be very motivating for students. There are various tools available.
Wiki is a collaboration tool where students can present the results of an assignment or study to everyone. In a wiki, one can also consult different revisions of the result.
Weblog is een website, on which the owner posts personal contributions, which are ordered chronologically.
- Collaboration can consist of project education or modeling together and goes beyond writing a report together. There are tools depending on the discipline, and tools which serve as multimedia communication.
Blackboard Collaborate makes it possible to chat with the students which are registered in a Blackboard course. But you can also share screens and use videoconferencing.
- Peer Review is a way of collaboration where students give each other feedback on assignment/products. The aim is that it brings the product to a higher level, before the instructor will judge/review it. In this way students also learn from each other.
Self & Peer Assesment module in Blackboard simplifies the organization. The system divides the tasks among the students and makes the feedback visible for the instructor.
- Peer Evaluation is also a type of collaboration, in which students give feedback on the way they function in a group. For instance during projects. Scorion can be used for this purpose. This tool gives an instructor/mentor more insight in the group process and the individual efforts of students.